s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Overwhelmed

Yesterday we found out that my grandpa, who is 84-years-old, has cancer. He's been having trouble with fluid filling around his right lung, which they removed and tested. It contained cancer cells. As soon as the big "c" word comes out it's like the world turns upside down. My grandpa and grandma aren't just grandparents to me. They have been a HUGE part of my life since I was a toddler. My dad was a single father and to help him we lived with them so he could work and they took care of us. My grandmother is the only mother I've ever known and my grandfather is certainly an amazing father figure, especially since losing my dad eight years ago. I absolutely hate that at his age he has to deal with something like cancer. My grandparents have had amazing health, comparatively, and both are extremely mentally sharp for their ages. I was thrown for a loop to find this out yesterday and am still trying to wrap my minds around it.

Honestly, the thing that has overwhelmed me more than anything is the support I have around me. Not only do people IRL (people I've known since I was a kid even) send me messages, texts, and comments on facebook, but all of my internet friends are out here offering encouragement for a family you have never actually laid eyes on. I can't tell you all how much I appreciate it and feel very fortunate to have an amazing group of people around me and out there in the world with concern and care. Thank you all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Janis MK said...

I am so sorry to hear this, Brandy. My grandparents were huge in my life too... I hope the rest of the journey will be gentle. ((hugs))

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home