s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, January 17, 2011

In Memoriam

The Obituary:

Max Edward C******* Sr., 84, of Bloomington passed away on Tuesday January 11, 2011 at Bloomington Hospital. He was born on October 3, 1926 to the late William P. and Blanche E. (Harper) C******* in Bloomington. He was retired from operating C*******'s Sharpening Shop and owned C*******'s Bait & Tackle Shop for years.

He was a member of Bloomington Baptist Church (Southern Baptist), a life member of the Retired Officers Association, Life member of Disabled American Veterans (DAV) and life member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars of the United States (VFW).

Survivors are his wife: Mildred Velda C*******, Two daughters: Linda G. C******* and Cheryl A. C*******, Granddaughter and husband: Brandy & Gabe B*****, Grandson: Max E. C******* III, one Great Grandson Aiden B*****, and one Great Granddaughter Olivia B*****, also one brother Howard E. C*******, and a sister & husband: Patty Jo & Joe L*****, two sisters-in-law: Mildred C******* and Virginia C******* and many nieces and nephews.

At age 16 he took the examination for entry into the US Navy. The day he was 17 he was sworn into the Navy at the Circle in downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. He served in the military during four wars. During WWII he served in the Navy aboard the USS LST 620 as a gunners Mate. He was in the Normandy Invasion at Omaha Beach Head. Then went to the Pacific Ocean and was at Iwo Jima, Siapan, Tori Island and Okinawa. He served in the Army during the Korean, Vietnam and Cold Wars. He retired form the US Army in 1967.

Visitation will be from 4 to 8 PM Thursday at the Deremiah-Frye Mortuary, Greene & Harrell Chapel and one hour prior to the service on Friday, the service will be at 11:00 AM Friday at the Mortuary, with Rev. ***** ******** officiating. Burial will follow the service at Valhalla Memory Gardens with Military Services by the Veterans Honor Guard.

Online condolences may be made to the family at www.deremiahfryemortuary.com


The Eulogy (which I read at the funeral service through many tears):

I'm not sure how far into this I'm going to get but please bear with me. My grandfather was an exceptional man. There are few regrets I have in this life but one I do is not speaking at my father's service. I didn't want to have that same regret for a man who has meant so much in my life.

Grandpa was a patriot who served his country. In that service he met my beautiful grandmother and they started a family. He took care of grandma, we still talk about him running out to the store any time she mentioned the bread running out or the milk getting low, and always making sure the car was warmed up on a cold day. He raised his three children and by the time my brother and I came along I'm sure he thought he was done but that most definitely wasn't the end of the story. When my mother and father divorced my dad had a lot on his hands. My grandparents didn't have to help him the way they did, there are many that wouldn't. Instead he supported us in every way he knew how to. In elementary school we were close enough that grandpa took us and picked us up daily. By middle school we took the bus about a block and a half away but on cold winter mornings grandpa would drive us to the bus stop and sit there with us so we wouldn't have to wait for the bus in the cold. On Saturday mornings there were lots of times I would wake up early and it would be just me and grandpa for a while. He would turn on cartoons and make me toast, cut into little triangles with lots of butter of course. He knew just how I liked it.

I consider my personality to be an interesting blend of my family. I get my emotional side from my aunt Cheryl, my more controlled and stoic side from my aunt Linda, my temper from my dad (although we may all be guilty of that), and my faith in the power of prayer from my grandma. I think I get my desire to take care of things from my grandpa. I'm sure Gabe can tell you sometimes I ask him the most obvious of questions, as if he were a kid. He'll just roll his eyes at me and tell me of course he's taken care of whatever it is I'm asking about. It's not that I don't think he will, it's my need to double check and the desire to make sure everything is okay. As I've gotten older I can't tell you the number of times my grandpa has asked me a silly question or reminded me 'you know you have to get your oil changed right?' to which I would remind him that I was an adult or I might lock eyes with one of my aunts in a knowing look of understanding. Now that I have children I understand that desire he had to make sure we were all safe and taken care of because no matter how old we got we were still his kids. I'm so thankful I got to know this man, that I had his example in my life on how to love and take care of my family. I know how truly blessed I am for that.

1 Comments:

Blogger Serenity said...

I am so sorry for your loss, hon. Thinking of you.

xoxo

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home