s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, January 16, 2009

What I Did Last Night

Lately I have really been trying to get things more organized in my life. Of course if you asked G he probably wouldn't agree but I very much do have a desire to have our lives more in order. Things just somehow get derailed so easily and life tends to get in the way. That being said, I had to take my computer to the hospital I will be working for to have it formatted and fixed to work at home and that really spurred my desire to tackle our home office/library/tanning room last night. When I got home to put the computer away it just felt overwhelming to try to put it back into such an extremely disorganized environment. It was a HUGE mess (most of which was my fault I will admit) and needed some major overhauling. Just to show that I am serious about never wanting it to look this way again, and that I'm not exaggerating about the huge mess, I am now going to post some before pics of the office. Please do not be too terribly disgusted.

This is the view from the stairs looking in through the door. It's a menagerie of purses, shoes, games, and other miscellaneous junk.

Here is a view standing just inside the doorway. The boxes are the failed attempt to try to get stuff together to start organizing approximately a month or so ago.


This is the floor in front of the bookcases and tanning booth. As you can see it is littered with blankets and books and various other things that have just gotten thrown here.
These are the bookcases. There is very little organization and as you can see in many areas the books are placed two deep, which means we can't even see all of the books we have.


And this brings us to the desk. Sadly this is after I pulled off quite a bit of papers. Prior to that you couldn't even see the top of the desk surface. It was pretty bad.


So last night I got my rear in gear and for 3 hours I purged and cleaned that room! By the time I was done one of the cardboard boxes was full of books to take to the used bookstore here in town (they offer store credit for books) and I had one very full trash bag.

Here is the view from outside the doorway again. Notice the missing shoes and purses and everything else? Please do ignore the dirty carpet though, there was no way I could vacuum at 12:30.

The bookshelves had a major overhaul. There are no longer books two rows deep. There are now actually pictures being displayed. The upside down wooden shelves will be used very soon, there was just no good place for them other than the bookshelf for the short term. You can see the very full cardboard box at the bottom left of the picture.

Notice the clean floor? You can now easily walk through the room and get to the closet - along with actually being able to close the closet. It's a good feeling.

The desk can now actually be used as a good working environment. There is nothing directly in front of the monitor. The top drawer is empty at this time and the small shelf to the right of the keyboard is almost empty. Hopefully those areas can be put to good use and not to have junk shoved in them.


And finally, I just had to show this off. In the other pictures you might have noticed this hanging on the wall above the shoe rack. It's the bulletin board I had in my bedroom while in high school. The message written on it was done by my best friend, and maid of honor Brandi, the night before my wedding. It has been moved to our apartment and now our house and I just don't have the heart to get rid of that message. Maybe one day when Aiden or Olivia want the board for their own I will let it go but for now it reminds me of my friendship and that day.

7 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Just 3 hours, amazing! I bet you are feeling great.

12:37 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Congratulations!!! Great work!

12:48 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

What a transformation! Give yourself a big pat on the back.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

Wow! It looks great!!

5:10 PM  
Blogger OHN said...

What time can you be here? ;)

7:56 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

It looks good!! I can't believe you did that in three hours. I cleaned my office and it took me a month!!

8:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, nice job! Congrats!

11:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home