s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Baby Steps

Why do we expect so very much from ourselves when we are so unwilling to do anything for ourselves? I hate that so many of you understand exactly where I am right now but I appreciate beyond words your support and knowing that I'm not alone. I need to do good things for my body and I need to do them now. I may lose a few readers but please don't be surprised if this site starts showing more and more information about my weight and food choices and exercise issues. I need your support so very much but if you're not in the same place I will completely understand if this starts boring you to tears. :-)

Last night I got on the elliptical for 5 minutes. Yes, just 5 minutes at about 10:30 last night. It was late and I was tired but I did it. And I was freaking out of breath in about 2 minutes. But I did it. I didn't let the love of the couch keep my butt glued to it. I got up and forced myself to move. I didn't eat that great, dinner included mashed potatoes, but I did eat turkey breast so that's something too. I'm not expecting over night results, to magically start disliking all the foods I have loved for so long, or to instantly be able to jog 5 miles a day. I just want to make changes while I still can.

Oh and please, please remind me to avoid google. I research and look around the stupid thing way more than I should. For some reason (I can't fathom why at this point but apparently I thought there was a point when I did it) I looked up my BMI. And then I just wanted to go eat 45 chocolate chip cookies. If I went by the chart I found and got down to my "normal" weight I would need to lose 80 pounds. Frick. I have no desire to get to that weight and don't feel like I need to get to that number on the scale but boy was that a slap in the face. Baby steps indeed.

4 Comments:

Blogger Shauna said...

For me, the hardest thing about exercising is actually starting. But that's what your 5 minutes was last night. Good on you!

I'll be cheering you on and joining you shortly.

3:25 PM  
Blogger OHN said...

Brandy---I have just started with baby steps too. I am not setting a definate weight goal, just a better, healthier me. Technically I want to lose 50 lbs but I can't deny myself or it backfires and I overcorrect by eating the wrong things.

Sometimes I feel like I am sabotaging myself.

Keep getting on the equipment, change 2 of your drinks a day to water (I alternate Lipton green and water..when I finish the tea, I fill the bottle with water and don't allow myself another tea till the water is gone).

On Live with R&K this morning they had a person on showing how the sugars and fats in things all add up over a one year period. I don't know if it is available on their website but it was a real eye opener. She wasn't advocating a DIET but just showing what adds up.

More than anything we need to encourage each other and ourselves. For me, the thought of not being healthy to babysit grandkids one day...well, that is my motivation. It is damn hard, I know, but we need to do it for ourselves.

3:28 PM  
Blogger Safire said...

Hey, 5 minutes is great! Now today you need to do 6 minutes. You can do it!

3:49 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

5 minutes is great, you are right, it is a step.

Don't focus on 80 pounds, focus on getting healthier. Baby steps. If you try to change everything at once, you'll quit. You are doing great!

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home