s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, August 11, 2004

You're entitled to my opinion...

Why is it that people want to tout the freedom of speech and are most definitely willing to tell you their opinion on a topic but if you do not agree then you are wrong? Too many times people want to ask your opinion when in fact they never wanted to really hear your opinion in the first place.

These days I run into so many people like that. I am a huge proponent of free speech. It is a constitutional right that I believe needs to be protected in every way possible. Also, every one has an opinion and a right to it. Respect mine and I will respect yours. If you don't have the decency or common courtesy to hear a person out then I ask that you too keep your opinion to yourself. Also, if you are ignorant on a subject that would be another good time to stay quite. I often use the quote "You can either keep your mouth shut and let people think you're stupid, or open your mouth and prove it."

Take, for example, right to life, abortion and a woman's right to choose. I personally believe abortion is wrong. I am probably what many would consider a very conservative, religious person and according to my beliefs it is murder. The Bible says that life is in the blood and I believe that from the time of conception a fetus is a child with a right to life. Now, taking that into account I also believe, according to my religion, that I will answer for no one and that it is not my place to judge anyone. My point is, if you don't want to hear that, then don't ask me. If you ask how I feel about it then expect to get an honest answer and have the respect to listen. In return, I will give you that same respect.

Another issue is fertility treatments. This is obviously an extremely sensitive issue that causes a lot of very strong feelings in people. Let me start by saying that I do not judge anyone who has had fertility treatments and if that's what works for you to have a baby then I couldn't be happier. I am not you and this is not about you, this is about me. This is my opinion about me, and me only. People ask me if I would consider having fertility treatments (such as IVF) to get pregnant. As much as I want to have a family by giving birth I can honestly answer that question with a no. I would probably try IUI given that it does not actually create a union between the sperm and egg but rather helps that process along. I wouldn't try IVF because I can't agree with joining egg and sperm to either transfer to my body, have die and be disposed of, or be frozen for an indefinite amount of time. This is my belief and I am entitled to it. When people ask this question they seemed shocked and appalled that I would think like this. They are offended as though it is a personal attack on their beliefs. That’s not the case and never my intention. If you believe that IVF is the right thing for you then I respect that decision and would never say anything against it. All I ask is that you in turn respect my choice of not wanting to pursue that option.

I will also say that I am not an activist or extremist. I truly believe that God is Love. To do or say what many activists do and say is the opposite of what Christian faith truly stands for. I most definitely stand up for what I believe in and will make my voice heard when it is necessary but I also will not walk on, disparage, insult, or harm another to do so.

One last thing. If you are offended by the things I have to say here I truly apologize for that and that is not in any way my intention but if that is the case then you have every right not to read my blog in the future. I may have used the word “me” here a lot today but that’s what this site is, it’s about me. If you don’t like what I have to say here you are welcome not to return. To all of the other wonderful people that choose to continue reading my blog – thank you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home