s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Brandi

Lately I’ve been reading this blog. Amy said some wonderful things about her friend and it made me think of my best friend. I don’t think she’ll ever see this (no one in the “real world” knows about this blog besides my husband) but I still feel like she deserves some roses thrown her way.

Of course I share the same name with my best friend (it’s only fitting) and we were born 5 days apart. We met in 7th grade and have been friends ever since. She was actually the first Pentecostal person I knew, though we never talked about religion. Through high school we became even closer, constantly hanging out at one of our houses and almost always driving too and from school together. She was the person I went to with a problem or new crush – whatever it was I knew she was there for me. When I found my way to church she was so excited and knew that it was just one more wonderful thing we would share.

When we graduated high school and moved on with our lives she moved about an hour away to college and I stayed here to plan my wedding. Even though she wasn’t in town any more we talked all the time and she was my maid of honor. She threw me a shower and was there to plan anything I needed help with. I spent my last night of single womanhood with her, the way it was meant to be.

As time went on she got married, moved to a different city about an hour away, and had her first son (who is adorable – looks just like her and she’s gorgeous). He was born in June 2002 after a horrible labor but she definitely talks about how worth it he is. In August 2002 I lost my dad. She was one of the first people I called (after my pastor). I don’t think I got the words out of my mouth before I started bawling and so did she. Immediately she asked if I needed her to come down and wanted to know what she could do. That was all I needed to hear. Her willingness to be there was what I needed. I told her to stay with her baby and that I knew I would need her in the days to come. She was there from the time the funeral started through the dinner afterward. She was a strength to me that there are no words to express.

Later that year Brandi’s world fell apart. I know you don’t know her but I don’t feel comfortable sharing too many personal details. Long story short she and her husband separated and started divorce proceedings. My heart broke for her and I felt so helpless. The only thing I could do for her was listen when she needed to talk and be there for her when she needed a shoulder to cry on. I hated her husband for hurting her and just wanted to do anything I could to help her. By late the next fall she was divorced and out on her own again.

The next fall Brandi married a wonderful man (he really is a GREAT guy) and a few months later she was pregnant. I couldn’t have been happier for her. We got to see even more of each other that year than we had in years past and it was wonderful. She gave birth to a beautiful baby girl last October and I think I cried seeing the first pics.

Last February when I found out I was pregnant she was definitely one of the first people we told. She was so excited for us, since she’s known all of our fertility and cyst issues all along. She was especially happy that our babies would be a year apart and hopefully as good of friends as we are. She couldn’t contain how happy she was for us – she was about to burst. Two weeks later, when I miscarried I called her right away. I don’t know that I’ve ever heard her more sad in my life. She cried with me and let me talk about everything I needed to talk about. I don’t know why but I was even surprised the next day when flowers arrived at my office. She had been thinking of me and it was the only thing she could think to do. At least if she couldn’t be with me she could send flowers and let me know I was on her mind.

When we made it through the first ultrasound this time and got a heartbeat I couldn’t keep myself from telling her. I emailed her the details and pictures right away. Her first response – I want to throw you a shower! As scared as she is for me, all she can do is encourage and think positively. She is an amazing person and someone I don’t know that I could live without. So here’s to Brandi – the best friend a gal could have.

2 Comments:

Blogger deanna said...

Girls like her are the very best kind. =)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Kay said...

What a nice tribute!


Found you from a comment you left on my WTF blog. I see we read the same IF blogs.

Wishing you well!

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home