s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, August 15, 2008

The Unwanted Gift

A couple of months ago I bought Aiden a booster seat. When I got home and opened the box there was almost no assembly (which is always nice!) and I pretty much just clicked a couple of things together while barely looking at the directions. I was done and ready to throw the box away but I'm very anal and had to double check in the box that I hadn't missed any directions or parts. In the very bottom of the box was a little purple envelope. I thought maybe it was the warranty info or something so I grabbed it. There was nothing on the outside but I was more than a little surprised by what was on the inside. It was a card from a baby shower with a message along the lines of "Congrats on your baby girl - The Smith Family loves you!" I just started laughing and had to show G. He of course got a big kick out of it too and we decided that apparently the receiver of the gift didn't want it and apparently didn't think to look inside for a card before returning it.

So I have a question - have you had to take gifts back? Do you check for cards or anything of that sort? What's the worst gift you've ever received or the least wanted one?

I'll give me answer here. The first Christmas after G and I got married I mentioned that I didn't get a cake stand for our wedding and how much I would really love to have one. Apparently I mentioned it a few too many times because I ended up with 3! I actually decided to keep two of them because they were both so pretty in different ways but took back 1. The nice thing was that my aunt got a big laugh over it and of course had no problem with me returning it to get something else. Of course I also didn't return it with a card left in the box!!

So please, share any funny gift stories you have, I would love to hear them.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brandy! Can't believe you are so close. How is Aiden taking all of this?

This will show me in a very horrible light but here it goes...
For our wedding friends of ours gave us the most atrocious frame. It was so far beyond our taste we just laughed when we opened it after the reception.

Well, a year later this couple got married and we went to the wedding. They didn't register anywhere so I had no idea what to get them (we had lost touch a bit, I think we were invited to beef up the numbers). So, I grabbed the frame (that was still in the box) and wrapped it and gave it to them as a wedding gift. They obviously like it, they gave it to us.

The thank you card we got from them said something like, "We know where you got this and we think it's hysterical". Instead of being upset with us they laughed with us. When I saw them next they mentioned that the frame makes them laugh when they see it.

12:11 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

One Christmas my boyfriend's grandma went shopping un assisted (that is always scarry) and came back with this HIDEOUS sweater with angels embroidered on it and jewels, etc.

I looked like something you would get at a craft show. It was absolutely HIDEOUS and I had NO idea what to do with it.

I remembered her saying that she had done most of her shopping at a certian store and so I just took it in there and said do you happen to sell this.

I thought for sure they would laugh at me and tell me that no one in their right mind would sell that but they DID!! So I imedately returned it and picked out something a little more my style.

1:33 PM  
Blogger Bird's Eye View Photography said...

I seem to be hard to buy for when it comes to my husband buying me gifts. They are usually geat things, but not for me.

For instance he bought me an ipod. Mother of two young children, full time job and no time to just stick a pair of earphones in and go-- two years later I found a use for them.

Another time he bought me a trek bike. GREAT bike, but I never ride- ever. It would have been fine to buy me a walmert special as I have not once been on the thing since he bought it. (I found out I was pregnant the month after he gave it to me)

I love the thought... but sometimes I question WHO he is buying these things for!

3:26 PM  
Blogger LCP said...

Oh yeah, returning gifts, even those I have asked for. For example, the cake stand. Really, really wanted one as a wedding gift. Got it...then realized, when the heck am I ever going to use this thing? I would much rather have something else, so we returned it for something else. Honestly, when I don't get a gift receipt...I get nutty because if I get two or more of something or get that odd gift that will just go in the corner and eventually be giving to good will...it would really be better worth the money to exchange it for something I will use. My opinion.

Oh...and another funny story. Actually, tonight, I will be regifting some soap my mother gave to me for my birthday last year...and I am regifting it back to her!! I have never done this before, but this soap, is a smell I really don't care for and it would just sit in my closet until the smell was gone and I could throw it away. But she literaly asked about the exact scent and I told her I had mine still...so I am regifting...yeah...I am that type of person!!

Have a good weekend.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Along the same lines as the card in the box....

2 years ago I bought my Mom a spacesaver clock radio that you can hang under your kitchen cabinets.

She thought it was great and opened the box to have a closer look. Inside was an added bonus: a gift card to the Liqour Store (where we buy booze and wine in Canada) for $50!!! It was to the 'Smiths' from the 'Jones' or something like that. We thought it was hilarious but sure enjoyed the wine that we bought with that card. :)

7:40 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

For our wedding we received a re-gift from some friends with the card still inside. A month or so later someone from the same group of friends got married so we added our name to the card and passed it on.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Monica H said...

I just wanted to thank you for stopping by and thinking of Sam on his birthday.

So thank you!

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home