s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Wednesday, October 20, 2004

The lungs of an asthmatic

So DH was sick last week. It was nothing serious, just a bad cold really. I was upset because I can't get the flu shot, and if you know anything about me you'll know this is odd. I am a HUGE needle-phobe so it's a big deal that I would get a flu shot. Anyway, he was saying that it's all in my head and since I've never had the flu I shouldn't worry about it. My argument is that I'm prone to sinus infections and bronchitis. I developed bronchitis the springs of 2001 and 2002. Last fall was the first time I got the flu shot (free from work so that's why I gave in and took advantage of it) and I didn't get anything more than a simple cold all winter. DH said it had nothing to do with the flu shot, it was all in my head.

Okay, so I'm rambling. Anyway, DH was saying that I'm not going to get sick and I shouldn't worry about not getting the flu shot. Like I said before he was sick last week but I was feeling pretty good and wasn't worried about getting sick too. That is until Saturday rolled around. We spent most of the day outside so by about 7:00 I was dragging. Come Sunday morning my throat was hurting, I was extremely congested, and had a whopper of a headache. If that wasn't bad enough I felt horrible on Monday. That night I had gotten up every 45 minutes to an hour to blow my nose and go to the bathroom so I was exhausted. I tried to rest and called in sick to one of my jobs so I could have the night off. Tuesday rolled around and I developed a Freddy Kruger voice. It was very pleasant, let me just tell you. Now, let me just tell you I am not one to be miserable and not go to the doctor. Luckily my doctor's office got me in yesterday morning and of course what do I have but bronchitis. That is coupled with a sinus infection, just so that I'm as miserable as possible. My doctor's words were "you are one sick young lady" and "you have the lungs of an asthmatic" because of how thick and fluid filled my lungs are right now.

To top this off I am supposed to be helping take our Super Church (children's church for ages 3-14) kids to a corn maze tonight. I don't think it's going to happen, not with the 3 medicines and Albuterol inhaler I'm having to use right now. I don't know that my asthmatic lungs can handle chasing a bunch of kids around a corn maze in 40 degree weather. Wish me luck! (as she wheezes away slowly and carefully)

2 Comments:

Blogger Miss X said...

I'm so sorry you are sick Brandy! That sucks. I use to get bronchitis all the time and it is just terrible! I hope you feel better soon! Good luck with tonight!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely *not*. Do not go anywhere near a cornfield with asthmatic conditions. I'm asthmatic and corn is full of chafe - tiny little particles which will get into your lungs and get infected and make more mucus for you to hack up. That being said, I've discovered that Vicks plug-in vapor thingies are really wonderful for the stuffed head and chest. also, try and avoid drinking anything cold - the more warm liquids you can keep in your system, the thinner the phlegm gets, which makes it easier to cough up.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon

- KT No Thanks, I Already Have a Penguin

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home