s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, February 25, 2008

Moral Dilemma

I’m having a crisis of conscience/moral dilemma and I really want to know what all you wonderful people out there think. I have been applying for jobs and over voice mail today was offered the one I REALLY, REALLY want. I’m supposed to be calling back at 7:00 p.m. to talk about the offer and basically accept or not. Here’s the dilemma: I haven’t told them I’m pregnant. I’m seriously considering telling them when I call to talk this evening. I’m just thinking that if I didn’t say anything until after I was hired that I would end up feeling as though I had been deceptive or in some way dishonest (when of course I have no legal obligation to tell them that information). Oh and they don’t offer insurance (I have that through G’s employer) so I’m not worried about something like that. I just don’t want to start this off on the wrong foot. So here’s the question – would you tell or not?

6 Comments:

Blogger Safire said...

Hmm...that's a hard one. I don't think I would tell until a week or so into the job. Like you said, you have no legal obligation to tell. And if they pressured you about it, or asked you a lot of questions tonight, you might tell them you suspect a baby, but nothing is certain yet. I guess they can't legally decide against you just because you are pregnant either. Good luck and I hope you get it!

5:04 PM  
Blogger DD said...

I wouldn't tell them because as you said, you have no obligation to. Your obligation begins once you are hired.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Brokenornot said...

s offered a job on Friday, and haven't told them I'm pregnant, and accepted the job. I'll wait to tell them until I have no choice, because its obvious, simply because I need the job.

Good luck.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

Looks like I'm in the minority but I would tell them.

Whatever you decide will be the right choice. It's a toughie.

7:28 PM  
Blogger Meg said...

If it were me, I wouldn't tell yet. My sister faced this one, and wound up slightly lying about her due date.

5:47 AM  
Blogger Rachel said...

When I was thinking about applying for jobs within the same company, I told them. Of course I knew them and even though legally it couldn't affect their decision, I knew there was a good chance I would stay home after the baby was born and felt an obligation to let the manager know that I may not be there long after they finished training me.

I think I would tell them ahead of time. Although they can't base their hiring decision on that, they can base their firing decision on that. If they have more than 50 employees, they have to abide by FMLA. If fewer than 50 employees, they can make whatever rules they want. If they fall under FMLA, they are not required by law to give you leave until you have been there for one year. They may have a problem with you leaving for doctor's appointments and eventually to give birth. If you tell them before accepting the job, they have all the information up front and you can find out how family friendly they are. And, if they are going to do something sketchy, it will be before you have withdrawn your name from the running somewhere else.

As an aside, I have worked for 2 different companies that waived the 1 year policy for employees that had not worked there long enough.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home