s

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, May 21, 2009

Finally Doing It

I bought a scale on Saturday because I've never owned one in my adult life. When I worked at the pain center I used their scale and when I worked for Dr. J I used hers. I figured if I am ever going to actually do something about my weight and health that I need to have a scale to actually have a starting point.

When I stepped on the scale on Saturday I could have puked. I am the heaviest I have ever been outside of pregnancy. I am heavier than when I got pregnant with Aiden almost 3 years ago. The number I saw on the scale was enough to disgust me. There is no way I can live my life at this weight. I want to be a good mother and a good example to my children. I want to look and feel as good on the outside as I do on the inside. I know my husband loves me and finds me sexy no matter what but I want him to look at me and see the me he married over 10 years ago!

It's really sad that this weight thing just keeps coming up over and over and over again. I know my job stress and trying to go back to school and everything else is NOT helping that either. Being stressed out is NOT a good excuse to be fat. I decided to REALLY do something about it. I am now doing weight watchers. I'm not going to the meetings (I just can't afford that right now) but I am doing the plan. I have the starter kit (albeit from a few years ago and will be buying the updated one next month) and am going to take control of my life again.

I know I've said that before and it's easy to think "blah, blah, blah, same old thing over and over" but this time I didn't stop to think about it or talk myself out of it. Monday morning I got up and ate good things for me. Tuesday I went to the store and bought good things for me. I am measuring and weighing my food. Food is there for nourishment, not just mindless eating and gluttony. I am fueling my body to be a better me. Next week I am going to buy a pedometer to start measuring just how much I am walking daily so I can get my exercise up to a level that will put me in much better shape and build a stronger me.

So far I'm down 6.0 pounds. I know that includes quite a bit of water weight and will most likely continue to through next week. I have no desire or thought that my weight loss rate will continue at such a speed, I'm really just looking for 1-2 pounds per week, which I think is a healthy way to lose weight. Every day when I see the number on the scale go down, even if just another 0.5 points it's one more motivation that's telling me I'm doing the right thing.

My SIL and friend, P, from church are supposed to be doing this with me. P ordered her starter kit this week and we will be encouraging eachother on this journey. I know I need someone to be accountable to. I am not yet sharing my current weight but we are going to tell each other our stats each week - loss, gain, or neither. It's an honor system, we weigh ourselves, but I see no advantage in lying, as that would only be hurting ourselves.

I've also added a ticker to this blog to keep myself in check and I'm throwing this out there too. If any of you are on this weight loss journey and want to "partner" up to have another person you're accountable to I would LOVE to help in any way I can. I know having someone else to talk to and exchange ideas/recipes with can be an immense help. I will start posting some of my favorite recipes on here as I feel this thing out and find my way. I cooked FABULOUS fajitas the other night and am looking for any thoughts/ideas/tips/recipes you can send my way too. One of these days I will get this under control and food won't have to be on the forefront of my mind any more.

7 Comments:

Blogger Gabe said...

You're as silly as you are sexy. Good job on the 6 pounds.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Heather said...

Congratulations!!!! I'd love to join you, but right now I'm in the opposite situation trying to eat healthy because I can't eat much these days being at the end of the twin pregnancy. After I have "the boys" I will be evaluating where I am fitness-wise and where I want to be and putting together my plan.

Wishing you lots of luck!!

12:53 PM  
Blogger Shauna said...

I'd like to join you. I'm completely grossed out with myself and want to do something about it. I'm at a loss as to how to go about this though. How to excercise with 2 little rugrats underfoot and needing constant attention? How to "diet" when my spouse isn't interested in dieting and therefore eats all sorts of junk in front of me?? Help!!

2:21 PM  
Blogger Serenity said...

Good for you!!! I did weight watchers (the online site) for three months this winter, and shed 12lbs (so far) and feel A TON better about myself.

In fact, I really do recommend the website. Was like $60 for three months and I got a ton of good recipes from their database. Just a thought if you don't want to spend the $10 or whatever per week. :)

Good for you for taking charge!

Good luck!!!

2:22 PM  
Blogger Miss X said...

Awesome Brandy! You know I love WW! I will be right there with you this fall.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Heather said...

I am there with you. I just started yesterday. I haven't joined the websites yet but I am just starting to try to eat healthy.

I hat ethe way I look in the mirror and I figure I need to like how I look so I'm trying something different. I'll be here cheering you on!!

4:57 PM  
Blogger deanna said...

Just wanted to cheer you on and say CONGRATS on the 6 pounds! What a great jump start!

I've heard such good things about WW. Good luck!!

8:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home